To be clear, I don’t know that my baby shower resembled a Blessing Way, other than that it surely was a way we were blessed at the outset of our new journey. I was very apprehensive about having a baby shower for a few reasons, some of which were :
a) I didn’t want to put people out by having them schedule a Saturday away from their preferred down-time
b) I didn’t want to put people out by adding an expense to their budgets (for travel, a gift etc)
c) The idea of being the center of attention in a celebratory setting always feels strange to me, until I redefine it for myself
So when it became clear that my Darling BFF would not let up about hosting a baby shower for me, I set about figuring out what I would love from such a celebration, redefining what I thought it to be so I was comfortable with having one thrown for me.
My wish list included these fundamental nonnegotiable’s :
a) The loved-ones throwing my party would not feel strain putting the party together (financial or otherwise)
b) I would not be outfitted or dressed up as a baby or in anything other than my own grown-up clothes
c) Gifts were not to be the centre of the party, were not to be a prerequisite for attendance and would not be ceremoniously opened and discussed
With my conditions met, I began to feel excited about my upcoming baby shower! I had visions of my loved ones and I gathered in the name of the celebration of new life.
To say my baby shower surpassed all my lofty wishes would not do justice to the account. It was one of the best days of my life. It was so so so special. Why my baby shower was the best I’d ever attended :
1) It was held on the same weekend as our wedding four years earlier and was the first time many of my loved ones were all gathered since.
2) Everyone was glowing in white and I wore my chosen birth colour of green, symbolising light, purity and life.
3) A large number of our loved ones travelled from far, wide and near to be there with us
4) Loved ones that were unable to attend sent their best wishes and gifts anyway (this really meant an incredible amount to us, how thoughtful our friends are)
5) The incredible gifts we received set us up beyond our wildest wishes
6) The programme was super relaxed with the only ‘formality’ being each guest presenting me with a lit candle while they shared their blessing for me, our baby and our birth.
Our friends and family reduced us to tears, not only with their heartfelt blessings, but by the gifts we received! We wanted for nothing when our precious Baby N arrived and I cannot express enough how incredible this was for us. In conclusion I humbly emphasise with a grateful heart, just how important these kinds of events are. To look around at my life and see the love in gifts and blessings beaming back at me is something I wish for every new parent.